Cleaning the windows of your home is a crucial aspect of maintaining its aesthetic appeal and hygiene. While cleaning the interior windows is relatively easy, cleaning the exterior windows that are out of reach can be quite challenging.
With the right tools and techniques, cleaning outside windows that you can’t reach is not impossible. In this article, we will share some practical tips and tricks to help you clean outside windows effectively.
Top 06 Expert Tips to Consider
01. Safety first
Before you start cleaning your outside windows, it is essential to prioritize safety. Make sure that you have a sturdy and stable ladder, preferably one that is designed for outdoor use.
Ensure that the ladder is placed on a level surface and that it is leaning against a stable and secure surface. Wear gloves and protective eyewear to prevent any injuries from broken glass.
02. Invest in the right tools
Having the right tools is crucial to clean outside windows that you can’t reach. A good-quality squeegee is a must-have tool for cleaning windows. A squeegee can efficiently remove dirt and grime from your windows, leaving them streak-free.
A soft-bristled brush or microfiber cloth can help you remove any stubborn dirt or stains.
03. Use a homemade cleaning solution
A homemade cleaning solution can be just as effective as a store-bought one, and it is often much cheaper. Mix equal parts of water and white vinegar to create a cleaning solution that can cut through grease and grime. You can also add a few drops of dish soap to the solution for added cleaning power.
04. Clean your windows on a cloudy day
Cleaning your outside windows on a sunny day can be challenging, as the heat from the sun can cause the cleaning solution to dry too quickly, leaving behind streaks.
It is best to clean your windows on a cloudy day when the weather is cooler, and the cleaning solution can be easily wiped away without leaving any streaks.
05. Use a telescoping tool
A telescoping tool, such as a window cleaning pole or a pressure washer, can help you reach high windows without using a ladder. These tools are designed to extend your reach and provide enough pressure to clean your windows effectively.
06. Hire a professional
If cleaning the outside windows that you can’t reach is too difficult or risky, consider hiring a professional window cleaning service. Professional window cleaners have the right tools and expertise to clean your windows safely and efficiently.
How Much Does it Cost to Clean Outside Windows?
The cost of cleaning outside windows varies depending on several factors such as the size of the windows, the number of windows, the location of the windows, and the level of difficulty involved in cleaning them.
In general, the average cost for cleaning outside windows ranges from $2 to $7 per window pane. Some window cleaning companies may charge a flat rate for the entire job, which can range from $100 to $300 or more depending on the factors mentioned above.
We recommend you get a quote from a few different window cleaning companies in your area to compare prices and ensure you’re getting a fair price for the service.
How to Clean Caulking Around Outside Windows?
Cleaning caulking around outside windows is a relatively easy task. We suggest you follow a few simple steps:
- Start by removing any loose or peeling caulking with a putty knife or scraper.
- Use a stiff-bristled brush to scrub the remaining caulking and the area around it with warm soapy water. You can also use a specialized cleaner designed for removing mold and mildew.
- Rinse the area thoroughly with clean water.
- Allow the area to dry completely before applying the new caulking.
- Once the area is dry, apply a new layer of caulking, using a caulking gun, to seal any gaps or cracks.
- Smooth the caulking with a caulk smoothing tool or your finger, and wipe away any excess with a damp cloth.
- Allow the new caulking to dry completely before painting or applying any other finish to the window frame.
- Remember to always wear gloves and eye protection when working with caulk and cleaning chemicals.
Cleaning outside windows that you can’t reach can be challenging, but with the right tools and techniques, it is not impossible. By following our tips and tricks, you can have sparkling clean windows that will enhance the look of your home.