Call us: +1 305 7266 026
What are window and glass squeegees?
Window and glass squeegees are specially designed tools that are used to remove dirt, dust, and fingerprints from glass surfaces. Normally it is made of polypropylene or polyester with a rubber contoured grip, making it easier to apply pressure. It also comes with a curved blade that helps in the sliding action of dirt and debris while cleaning. Also, it is available in different sizes to cater to different cleaning requirements. Generally, it is used to clean windows, glass surfaces, carpets, and car windshields.
If you’re looking for an easy way to clean your windows and carpets, a homemade squeegee is a perfect solution! Simply follow these steps to make your own.
How To Make a Homemade Squeegee With a Rake?
- Pipe insulation
- Two zip ties/Hot glue
In addition to using a squeegee, you can also use a rake to clean surfaces. To make the squeegee, first cut a piece of metal rake that is about 2 inches wide and 6 inches long. Bend it into a U-shape and hot glue it to one end of the broom handle. And, to make the squeegee effective, add a piece of pipe insulation to the end of the rake. You can find pipe insulation at home improvement stores or online.
Now you’re ready to clean your windows and carpets with ease!
Related Topic: Homemade Window Washing Solution.
Uses and Benefits:
There are several uses and benefits for window squeegee. And here we mentioned the top 05 advantages of this.
- Efficient cleaning: Squeegees allow you to clean large flat surfaces quickly and effectively, reducing the time and effort required for cleaning.
- Streak-free cleaning: Squeegees are designed to evenly distribute water and cleaning solution, leaving surfaces streak-free and spotless.
- Reduced water waste: Squeegees can effectively remove excess water from surfaces, reducing the amount of water used for cleaning.
- Versatility: Squeegees can be used on a variety of flat surfaces and can be easily moved from one surface to another.
- Durability: Squeegees are made of durable materials that can withstand frequent use and can last for a long time with proper care.
Overall, using a window squeegee can make cleaning large flat surfaces faster, easier, and more effective, while also reducing water waste and providing streak-free results.
What To Use If You Don’t Have a Squeegee?
If you don’t have a squeegee and you can’t buy one right now, there are some things you can use instead of the squeegee. Here we discussed 05 things that you can use when you don’t have access to the squeegee.
- Credit card: If you’re in a pinch, a credit card can serve as a handy substitute for a squeegee. Not only does it have a flat edge that can be used to smooth out bubbles in a screen protector or vinyl decal, but it’s also small enough to fit in your wallet for easy access.
- Plastic spatula: A plastic spatula, often used for cooking or baking, can be a great alternative to a squeegee. Its flat edge can be used to apply even pressure to the surface, eliminating air bubbles and ensuring a smooth application. Plus, it’s easy to clean and won’t leave any residue.
- Cloth: For tasks that require removing debris or wiping away excess liquid, a cloth can come in handy. Find a clean, soft cloth and gently wipe the surface. For best results, dampen the cloth slightly to effectively remove stubborn dirt and grime.
- Piece of paper: Believe it or not, a simple piece of paper can serve as a substitute for a squeegee. Its flat edge can be used to apply pressure to the surface, smoothing out any air bubbles and ensuring a clean, seamless application. Opt for a piece of scrap paper or even a business card if you have one handy.
- Toothbrush: A toothbrush can serve as an alternative to a squeegee in certain scenarios. For example, if you need to clean small, tight spaces or scrub away stubborn dirt or grime, a toothbrush can be an effective tool. Its bristles can provide gentle scrubbing action that can help remove debris from a surface. However, a toothbrush may not be suitable as a substitute for a squeegee in tasks such as smoothing out bubbles in a screen protector or vinyl decal, as it does not have a flat edge that can apply even pressure to the surface.
Note: The effectiveness of these alternatives may vary depending on the task and the material being used.
Maintaining your window squeegee will ensure it continues to perform effectively and efficiently. Over time, dirt, grime, and other debris can build up on the blade, reducing its effectiveness and leaving streaks on your windows. Regular cleaning of your squeegee will prolong its lifespan and keep it working at its best. Additionally, by keeping your squeegee in good condition, you can save money in the long run by avoiding the need to purchase a new one prematurely. Our experts suggest you some techniques to maintain your window squeegee. Those are…
- Clean the squeegee after each use by wiping it with a damp cloth or sponge.
- Store the squeegee in a dry place to prevent rusting and extend its life.
- If the blade becomes worn, replace it with a new blade to ensure the best results.
- Avoid using the squeegee on rough or abrasive surfaces, as this can damage the blade.
- If the squeegee handle becomes loose, tighten it to ensure a comfortable and secure grip while using it.
Besides, you can check this video for more…